Expressing preferences - sovathbdm

Expressing preferences - sovathbdm

To-infinitive forms in American English are much more frequent than the -ing form. The meaning between these two forms is slightly different. The to-infinitive is used to express on habits or preferences and the gerund or -ing form is used to talk about enjoyment or lack of it. Let's see the following examples.

  • I like to swim. ( The speaker focuses on the action of swimming.)
  • I like swimming. ( The speaker expresses his or her general preference or enjoyment of swimming.

Most of the time there is no difference between using the to-infinitive and the -ing form for the following verbs: hate, like, love, prefer.

Example

  • I hate getting up early in the morning.
  • She like painting pictures.
  • They loving playing soccer on the weekends.
  • He prefer drinking coffee to tea.

Expressing preferences

Specific preference

[Would rather + infinitive …..]

* would rather = 'd (want to) 

  • She’d rather present her work today. 
  • They’d rather play soccer this evening.
  • We’d rather finish our work by 5 this evening.

[ Would prefer + to infinitive + …..]

  • I’d prefer to stay at home today. 
  • She’d prefer to stay single. 
  • We’d prefer to eat out this evening. 

Preference of one thing over another

[Would rather + infinitive + than + infinitive ………..]

  • I’d rather drink coffee than energy drink. 
  • We’d rather stay at home than go out this weekend. 
  • He’d rather fly than drive. 

[Would prefer + to infinitive + rather than + infinitive……..]

  • I’d prefer to stay home rather than go out today.
  • She’d prefer to stay single rather than get married with the wrong man . 
  • We’d prefer to eat out  rather than eat in this evening. 

Action we wish somebody to take ( future or present)

[ Would rather + sub + v-ed …………]

  • I'd rather go by bus. ( I will go by bus)
  • I'd rather he went by bus. (He will not go by bus.) (meaning: present)
  • He wants to be a teacher but I'd rather he became a doctor.
  • I would rather (that) you stayed at home. (but you will go out)
  • My father would rather I lived in Istanbul. (I am living in Paris now.)
  • I'd rather you didn't smoke in the car. (you are smoking in the car.)

General preference/enjoyment
[ Like + noun / Ving...]
Example
  • I like coffee.
  • I like drinking coffee.
  • They like swimming.
  • She likes drawing pictures in her free time.
  • He likes tea.
Note : 
I like singing but I don't like to sing. 
- Like to do :  to perform an action
- Like doing : enjoyment of an activity.