Present Perfect Vs Simple Past Tense

Present Perfect Vs Simple Past Tense

 Present Perfect Tense

Form : Sub + have/has + past participle (V3.)

Usages

Usage 1. action that happened and finished at unknown past and shows the result in the present. សកម្មភាពដែលកើតឡើងហើយចប់ក្នុងអតីតកាលមិនជាក់លាក់ ហើយបង្ហាញលទ្ធផលក្នុងពេលបច្ចុប្បន្ន។

Example 

  • They have done their assignment. 
  • My mom has watered the plants already. 

The action of watering the plants already happed and finished but the time the action started and finished is unknown and not important and the present result now is that the plants are wet.

Usage 2. Past action that started in the past and continues up to the present. We normally used with " for & since". សកម្មភាពដែលកើតឡើងក្នុងអតីតកាលហើយបន្តរមកដល់បច្ចុប្បន្ន។

  • For : a period or duration of time ( អស់រយៈពេល)
  • Since : the starting point of time that the action started (ចាប់តាំងពី)​

Example

  • I have known her for 3 years.
  • Our teacher has taught English since 2005. 

Usage 3. Life experience (បទពិសោធន៍ជីវិត)

Example

  • I have tried crocodile meat once. 
  • She has flown in an airplane for a few times.

Simple Past Tense

Form : Sub + V2 + past expression.

Use : Simple past tense is basically used to talk about the action or a situation that happened and finished at a specific time in the past. សកម្មភាពដែឡបានកើតឡើងហើយបញ្ចប់ទៅវិញក្នុងអតីតកាលជាក់លាក់។

Example

  • I went to Koh Kong province last week.
  • She went to bed at 11 last night.
  • He was absent from the class yesterday.
  • They played soccer this morning.

Practice

1) Last night I ______ (lose) my keys. I had to call my roommate to let me in.

2) I ______(lose) my keys - can you help me look for them?

3) I ______(visit) Paris three times.

4) Last year I ______(visit) Paris.

5) I ______(know) my great grandmother for a few years - she died when I was eight.

6) I ______(know) Julie for three years - we still meet once a month.

7) I ______(play) Hockey since I was a child - I'm pretty good!

8) She ______(play) hockey at school but she didn't like it.

9) Sorry, I ______(miss) the bus - I'm going to be late.

10) I'm sorry, John isn't here now. He ______ (go) to the shops.

Full lesson on 

Present Perfect Tense

Simple Past Tense

Check your answers here