Modal Verb "Will" | bdmclass

Modal Verb "Will" | bdmclass

 


Modal verb " Will" 

Will is a modal verb that can be used with another verb to express different opinion such as plan, intension and prediction. The verb that follows will, must be in base form. 

Forms

Positive : Sub + will + base verb (V1).
I'm feeling bored I will go out and hang out with friends.
Scientists in the future will find new medicines to heal all diseases.
Negative : Sub + will not (won't) + base verb.
She will not finish her work by today.
People won't travel in flying in the next few years.
Yes/No : Will + Sub + base verb? 
Will you go out with me this evening?
Will scientists be able to heal all the diseases in the future?
Information Question
Wh- word + will  + sub + base verb?
What will you if you see a lion?
Where will people live in the next 2000 years? 

Usages
Plan or decision : Modal verb "will" is used to talk about the plan or decision that is made at the moment of speaking. The speakers just decide to do it with out any prior plans.
- I am very hungry. I will go out and find something to eat.
- She is feeling sick. She will go leave school early.
- I will buy a bigger house if I have a lot of money now.
- He will be there in a few second.
- We will leave now we don't have much time left.

Prediction: When it comes prediction, modal verb " will" is specifically used to make a general prediction about the future which is not based on any concrete evidence. It is based on the speaker's opinion. 
- People will be able to live on Mars in the future.
- It will rain today. ( The speaker just says it without any proof.)
- Scientists will be able to grow human organs in animals.
- In the future people will have a trip to other planets. 

Making a promise: "Will" is generally used to make a promise.
- Please lend me 10 dollars, I will pay you back tomorrow.
- Do it now, I will help you.
- I will marry you when I have a good job.
- I will drive you home today. 

Practice
Complete the following sentences using the correct form of will.
1.She__________ (be) late for the meeting if she doesn’t leave now.
2. I promise I _____________ (call) you as soon as I arrive.
3. You _____________ (pass) the exam if you study hard.
4. He _____________  probably (come) to the party tonight.
5. They _____________  (travel) to Europe next summer.
6. She _____________  (lend) you her car if you ask nicely.
7. We _____________  (need) more time to finish the project.
8. He _____________  definitely (win) the race; he’s a great athlete.
9. You _____________  (regret) it if you don’t take this opportunity.
10. They _____________  never (believe) what happened!
11.She _____________  (help) you with your homework.
12. We _____________  (have) a barbecue if the weather is nice.
13. He _____________  (be) surprised when he sees the gift.
14.They _____________  (arrive) late due to traffic.
15. I _____________  (do) my best to solve the problem.