Present Simple | bdmclass

Present Simple | bdmclass

Present Simple

When it comes to studying grammar, understanding tenses is no exception. There are basically three tenses which are present tenses, past tenses and future tenses. Present tenses includes present simple, present continuous or present progressive, present perfect, present perfect and present perfect continuous. Past tenses include simple past, past continuous or past progressive, past perfect and past perfect continuous or past perfect progressive. Future tenses include future simple, future continuous and future perfect and future perfect continuous. In this article, we will be exploring the present simple tense. Present simple is generally used to talk about habits or routines – things that we do regularly over and over again, facts – things that are always true, and schedules. Facts can be split into natural facts and scientific facts. Let’s see some examples below so you will find it a lot easier to understand. 

Facts : something that is always true.

- The sun rises in the east. (Natural fact- this is always true from the past, now and in the future.) 
- When the sun sets, it is dark. (Natural fact)
- The earth goes around the sun. (Natural fact)
- Water freezes at zero degree Celsius. (Scientific fact since it is proven by science.)
- Water boils at 100 degree Celsius. (Scientific fact)

Habits or routines : things that we do again and again.

- I usually go to bed at 10.
- I always get up at 4: 30.
- My dad always goes to work at 6:30 am.
- My mom cooks meals for my family.
- People often spend their holiday at the beach in summer.
- My sister does exercise 20 minutes every day.

Schedules : the events that are planned for the future.

- Our train leaves at 8 pm tomorrow.
- Flight 703 arrives at 10 pm tonight.
- It’s her birthday next week.
- We have English on Friday this week.

Forms

Positive 1

Sub (I, you, we, they) + base verb + ………
- I always do my homework before I go to bed.
- You are always helpful.
- They usually play soccer on the weekends.
- Most animals eat plants and grass for food.
- I and my friends like to hangout on Sunday.

Positive 2

Sub ( He, she, it) + Verbs (-s,-es,-ies) + …………
- My mom cooks meals for my family.
- My teacher assigns homework regularly.
- My dad goes to work early every day.
- He studies in grade 10.
- She sometimes watches movies with her friends.

Negative

Sub + don’t / doesn’t + base verb……….
- Fish don’t live on land.
- The sun doesn’t rise in the west.
- I don’t like meat.
- They don’t always play soccer on the weekends.

Negative

Sub + don’t (do not) / doesn’t (does not) + base verb …….

Don’t – used with I, you, we, they.

Doesn’t – used with he, she, it.

- I don’t eat meat.
- They don’t play sports.
- We don’t always have fun at school.
- She doesn’t work. She is a housewife.
- He doesn’t speak Khmer. He speaks only English.

Yes/ Question

A question that needs a short answer which are Yes or No.

Do/does + sub + base verb ……..?

Short answer

Yes, sub + do/does.

No, sub + don’t/doesn’t.

- Do you always do your homework before you go to bed? Yes, I do or No, I don’t.
- Do they usually have fun in the class? Yes, they do or No, they don’t.
- Does your mom cook meals for your family? Yes, she does or No she doesn’t.
- Does water freeze at zero degree Celsius? Yes, it does.
- Do most animals eat plants and grass for food? Yes, they do. 

Information question of Wh-question

The question that needs full answer or information. It always begins with wh-words such as what, when, why, who, where, which, and how.

Wh-word + do/does + sub + base verb………..?
- What do you always do before you go to bed?
- When do they normally play soccer?
- Why do we have to drink a lot of water?
- Who does she work with?
- Where does your best friend live?
- How do you go to school every day?

Spelling Rules

In positive form with he, she and it all verbs must be added with –s, -es or –ies.
Rule 1 : add –es to the verbs that end in –ss, -sh, -ch, -x, -o, -zz
  • I miss my childhood. He misses his childhood.
  • They wash the dishes. She washes the dishes.
  • We watch movies on the weekends. She watches movies on the weekends.
  • I often fix my car. He often fixes his car.
  • Students go to school from Monday to Saturday. He goes to school from Monday to Saturday.

Rule 2: Change y to  –ies when the verbs end inconsonant + y.
  • I study in grade 7. > He studies in grade 12.
  • They try very become famous soccer players. > She tries to study for a grade on the exam.
  • I fry fish for lunch today. > My mom fries fish today.
  • They dry their clothes under the sun. Roza dries her clothes on top of her roof.
  • We fly kites on windy days. My brother flies kites at the beach.
Rule 3: If a verb doesn’t follow rule 1 and 2, we simply add –s.
  • I often play games for 30 minute before I go to bed. > He plays games every day.
  • They usually hang out on the weekends. > She sometimes hangs out with friends.
  • Most people like meat. > My mom likes vegetables.
  • We normally feel lazy on Monday. He feels lazy on Monday.
Practice
Complete the following sentences with the correct form of present simple. The verbs are given.
1. She ________ (water) the plants 2 times a day.
2. They _________( not / play /always) soccer on the weekend.
3. What _________ (do/usually/she) in her free time? 
4. She ___________(play/sometimes) volleyball with her friends. 
5. Teacher ________ ( assign) homework three times a week.
6. Theary _________ ( study) with Roza in grade 6.
7. Tigers _________ ( not /eat) plants for food.
8. How much ________ a flying car ______ (cost)? 
9. My uncle _________(watch) the news on TV every morning.
10. _________your mom ________(cook) for your family? 
Online Practice