Making requests, asking permission and giving promises - sovathbdm

Making requests, asking permission and giving promises - sovathbdm

 


Making Requests

Making a request means asking someone to do us a favor. Subject "you" is frequently used since we tend to ask someone directly. Modal verbs could, would and can are used.

Could/would, can/will + you + base verb................., please?

  • could/would : more polite
  • can/will : less polite

Would you mind + Verb -ing ...................., please? 

Example

  1. Could you open the windows, please? It is very hot in here. 
  2. Can you pass me that pencil, please?
  3. Would you help me move this desk, please?
  4. Will you close the door, please?
  5. Would you mind driving me home? 

Asking Permission

Asking permission means you ask someone to grand you a right or privilege to do something. Modal verbs may, can, could are used.  

May, could, can + I/we + base verb .........................., please?

  • May : most polite
  • Could : more polite
  • Can : less polite
Example
  • May I leave early today, please? I'm feeling very sick.
  • Could we reschedule our school's trip to next week?
  • Can I borrow your book for a day, please?
Making offers
Making an offer means you are willing to help another person.

Can/could
- Can I bring you something to drink?
- I can help you with that if you don't mind.
- Could I buy you coffee?
- I could book a hotel for you if you want.

Would

Would you like .......................?

  • Would you like me to bring you a drink?
  • Would you like a seat near the windows?

Will

Sub + will + base verb..............

  • I'll carry that for you.
  • I'll drive you home.
  • I'll help you with that.

Making promises
Sub + will + base verb.................
  • I'll pick up you at your house at 8 in the morning.
  • I'll return you the book I borrowed tomorrow.