Top American Slang words bdmclass

 

Top American Slangs

What is a slang? Well, slang is a word that is typically used by a specific group of people and at different places around the world. Basically, slang is not a formal word meaning that it is not used in the writing since it might confuse the readers because their meaning is always idiomatic. It is only understood by some group of people where those slangs are used. But in spoken language people do not strictly follow the rules of the languages strictly. They want to get it done fast, sound more advanced or stylish hence this blog post will introduce some of the commonly used American slangs that will help you better understand American people.

Legit : show admiration to someone or something that is great.
- Have you tried this game? It’s legit, man.
Cringe: disgusting or embarrassing, awkward
- She is such a cringe girl.
- This place is cringe.
Low-key: quiet or reserved
- Their wedding was low-key.
Grilled : roasted : offended many times
- The president has been roasted / grilled during his speech.
Fire: very good
- That thing is fire.
ASAP : as soon as possible
- I cannot talk to you now. I'm a bit busy but I'll get back to you ASAP.

Shade : disrespect 
- She threw shade at me. 
- No shade. Learn to respect one another.
No shade all tea = no disrespect. All facts
That's cap : that is not true
- Don't believed what he just told you. That's cap. It was a lie. 
I'm down : I agree, ok 
- Hey, let's go fishing this weekend. Ok, I'm down. 
It's sick or that's sick: that is cool
- She just bought a new car. It was sick. 
Boring : basic
- His explanation is basic. I'm not really interested. 
Crazy : nuts 
- Are you nuts?
My bad : my mistake
- I'm sorry. It's my bad not to invite to my birthday. 
Wasted : very drunk
- She joined her friend's party last night. She drank a lot. She was wasted. 
A dollar : a buck
- This book costs 10 bucks.
No biggie or no sweat = it's not a problem 
- Thank for lending me your book. Oh, no biggie. 
Screw up : make a mistake 
- I screw up a lot when I try to speak English which is my foreign language.   

 Zip it : shut up 
You are very noisy. Please zip it.
It slipped my mind : I forgot it. 
- I am very sorry that I forgot your birthday. It slipped my mind.
It's on me : I'll pay the bill. 
- You all don't have to pay. It's on me.
Have a blast : have fun
- We had a blast at our friend's party last night. 
A rip-off : too expensive 
- That car is a rip-off. I cannot afford it.  
Deffo : definitely  
- Will you hang out with us this evening? Oh, deffo.
Use your noodle : Use your brain 
- Why are always asking me? Use your noodle, dude!
What’s your problem? : What’s your beef?
To dump : to end a relationship with someone.
- My girlfriend dumped me last month.
Sure thing : of course, definitely
- May, I use your phone for a minute? Sure thing.

Down-to-earth : a person who is practical, realistic and friendly.
- We get along with her well. She’s such a down-to-earth girl.
Feel blue : feel sad
- I'm feeling so blue now. I failed in my exam.
For real : that’s true, honestly
- Now, I don't have even a buck in my pocket. For real!
Hang out : to do something together
- I like to hangout with friends when I am sad. 
Badass : cool
She’s a total badass. She can fly a jet plane skillfully.
- He just bought a new car and It was absolutely a badass.
Hit me up : contact me/ text me
- Hey, hit me up when you go to the movie.
Apiece of cake: very easy
- This Math's equation is a piece of cake. Even grade 3 student can do it. 
Break a leg : good luck
- Break a leg for your exam everyone!
Pissed off: very annoyed
- I got pissed off. I have been waiting for 3 hours and the bus is still not here.
 - You have been talking a lot. You'd better stop it. No shade all tea.
Kudos : good job 
- You got it right! Kudos!

Comments