Present Perfect Tense | already, yet, since, for




Present perfect tense is used to talk about the action that started in the past and continues up to the present and the unknown past action showing the result in the present. Generally, some common adverbs that are used with this tense are for, since, yet and already. Now let's see the explanation for each adverb below.

“already” is used in positive form to talk about the finished action at unknown past

Sub + have/has + V3….already.

Sub + have/has + already + V3…………………

  • I have eaten lunch already.
  • She has already left her house.
  • They have done their assignment already.
  • BDM has already posted many contents in this website.
  • I am not hungry. I have had snack already.
  • We have already sent them the invitation to join our party.
  • Teacher has informed the students about the holiday already.
  • I have had two cups of coffee already today.
  • NASA has hold a hearing about alien life already.
  • My mom has already cooked something for our dinner.

Sub + have/has + just + V3…………………

" Just" is used for the action that has recently finished which simply means that something finished a very short time ago.

  • She has just left. ( just a few seconds ago)
  • They have just stopped playing soccer. 
  • We have just arrived class and the books are still in our bags.
  • The plane has just landed and the passengers are getting off it now.
  • They look very exhausted now because they have just stopped playing soccer.
  • Where is your dad? Oh, he has just left. I'll go and get him back.
  • He is very wet because he has just walked under the rain.
  • The rain has just stopped the ground is still wet.
  • My little brother has just eaten snack. The food is still on his mouth.
  • My sister has just bought a new car.

“yet” is used in question and negative to ask or talk about an action whether it is finished or not up to the present.

Yes/No Question: Have/has + sub + V3……yet?

  • Have you eaten lunch yet? No, I haven’t. Yes, I have.
  • Have they done their assignment yet? No, they haven’t. Yes, they have.
  • Has she left her house yet? No, she hasn’t. Yes, she has.
  • Has the teacher returned the test paper yet?
  • Have they stopped playing soccer yet.
  • Has world war 3 started yet?
  • Have scien

Negative: Sub + haven’t/hasn’t + V3….yet.

I haven’t called my family yet.

They haven’t done their assignment yet.

“for” is used to talk about the duration or period of time which an action happened. It normally shows in numbers.

BDM has taught English for 16 years.

They have lived here for 3 months.

I have had this car for a week.

“since” is used to talk about the starting point of time which an action happened. It is normally the name of days, months, years….etc.

BDM has taught English since 2005.

They have lived here since February.

I have had this souvenir since I was five years old.

Practice

Complete the follow sentence with " for, since, yet, already,  just" 

I haven’t been here _____  June.

Has Emily done the washing up just _____ ?

We have known each other _____  ten years.

John has _____ tidied his room.

Children have _____  finished their project.

It has been boiling hot here_____  more than a week.

Jane hasn’t called me back _____ .

I haven’t talked to her _____  she was twenty.

They have _____  had breakfast.

Chris has _____  returned home.

Have you paid for the trip _____ ?

Susan hasn’t seen me_____  ages.

They have _____  gone to the airport.

It has _____ started raining.

Ryan hasn’t texted me _____  Sunday morning.


Comments